Tuesday, October 25, 2011

More Fall Bounty: Mercantile, Authors, Festivals

More Fall Bounty:
Mercantile, Authors, Festivals...



photo credit: their home-made sign - borrowed from their FB page

Boho Mercantile Bayou Bazaar
First Friday of every month

Link to Facebook page...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Boho-Mercantile-Bayou-Bazaar/149313511815831
(note: a lot of great photos & links, so go visit there for more...)

Info description from Facebook page...

"bohoMERCANTILE is a gypsy boutique offering handmade jewelry, clothing, pottery, soaps, essential oils and essential waters as well as a growing collection of vintage, salvaged, repurposed and redesigned items. We are four down home southern gals who were born on the bayou. We share a similar vision with respect for nature, passion to create and love for our community.

bayouBAZAAR is a monthy event held on the 1st Friday of each month from 6 - 9pm. We will feature our current creations and invite special guest artists and crafters. Along with local farm fresh food and local music. Each month should offer something new and interesting!"

Schedule 2011 (dates left)
Nov 4th
Dec 2nd

Address:
409 Brook Ave
Lafayette, LA 70506-4728

Location:
next door to Saint Street Inn
& the Beauty Spot - uses their parking lot

Link to webpage...
http://bohomercantile.com

My October Boho Mercantile visit photos...
of the Classic gorgeous car in the parking lot - which oddly enough on my way walking to Festival Acadiens I saw it parked behind some medical/dental offices I think, was really cool to see it again, but I did get some pics of it already...it was even more fun watching the kids come take pics beside it with their camera phones--what a difference a decade or two makes?! Geesh, I would of had to go borrow my G-ma's box camera to take a black & white pic of it on a roll that would of also had to have been taken to the drug store to be developed & waited awhile on?! Now click, Click & not only you have a photo you can send it off to your Social Media & share with all?! (OMGoodness am sounding ancient, but am still amazed when I think about it--my SciFi dream is alive & well & it's Today?!)





these old 50's car grills almost always make me, at some point, think of Stephen King's horror story (of course, what other) about the mad possessed car Christine--which makes me also not want to stand in front of it too long as well...btw 'she' was a 1958 Plymouth Fury

Thank you JaxRide & I hope he/she/they don't mind too much I've shared their gorgeous old classic car--will be sure to ask them if I'm lucky enough to meet them or see this car again, who knows maybe back at Boho Mercantile next month--November 4th?!

    /\/\/\

Authors...

Ernest Gaines
writer-in-residence emeritus at UL Lafayette, retired
public reading at the Ernest Gaines Center
inside UL's Dupre library, 3rd floor, 2pm, Oct 18th

Haven't heard this old writer man read since way back when, as I was taking one creative writing class after another for probably 2 years (after I had already graduated with a BS degree) - at the time his book A Lesson Before Dying I think was just published & so he read from that at a Deep South Writer's Conference, as he did on this day...just read chapter after chapter in this time a book draft, for about an hour - in what I've read being called a 'classic storytelling' style & I'll agree on that...but it's always great to hear the actual author read his book, his lines, as their characters...at the end of this reading this time they did take questions from the audience, but I was illegally parked on campus & was getting nervous thinking about what a ticket would cost so I had to get up & leave...

Link to the UL library Ernest Gaines Center...
http://library.louisiana.edu/Gaines/

Link to article in The Independent about his public reading at UL's center named after him...
http://www.theind.com/arts-a-entertainment/86-aae/9199-ernest-gaines-speaking-at-ull

from the article...

"[The latest work’s] early drafts concern a story of a young writer who, like Gaines did years ago, comes back to Louisiana after years of living elsewhere in an attempt to find his voice as a writer. Gaines has noted, however, that it is still early and the story may decide to go in a completely different direction."

(note: I especially liked what a commenter to the article said, that "Sometimes the most interesting story is Gaines himself. ")

Link to more about the reading at Ernest Gaines Center UL Lafayette...
http://www.louisiana.edu/Advancement/PRNS/news/2011/211.shtml


Also available at the reading was this book...

"Gaudet, Young, and recent UL doctoral candidate Wiley Cash also compiled and edited a pictorial history of Gaines as a Louisiana artist titled This Louisiana Thing that Drives Me: The Legacy of Ernest J. Gaines" from http://ultoday.com/node/4392




You can order here from the UL Press...
http://www.ulpress.org/catalog.php?item=103


 ###



love this girl's smile, it's catching :oD
Chere Coen

Magic's in the Bag: Creating Spellbinding Gris Gris Bags & Sachets w/ Jude Bradley
Exploring Cajun Country: A Historic Guide to Acadiana
Cooking in Cajun Country w/Karl Breaux



 
Get Your Mojo Working Workshop...
evening class at South Community College on Full Moon, Oct 11th
next up, tomorrow, evening class at South Regional Library on New Moon, Oct 25th

It's all in the moon...Ah mon amour de la lune?!
note: so far up, have made 2 fun sachets/Gris Gris bags (I think of them as Good Luck or Healing Help charms, though if you look up the origin of the word you'll be thinking Voodoo & bad spells, which they're not - nor were they in the past I don't think either, once again Movies Give A lot of Things a Bad Name...) And I plan on making 1 or maybe 2 more tomorrow or days following this next workshop...

my ingredients collected to make my sister a sachet/Gris Gris bag...
rosemary, lavender/sweet olive flowers, beach sand, beach pine cones, small feathers, tiny sea shells, coffee beans, loose Scottish tea, kid's playing marbles, an Indian Head Penny, tiny safety pin/ button/ bells/ star stud, some tiny plastic toys kept since we were kids & etc. (cannot remember all the fun little things I put in that little blue bag thinking of my sister as we were girls growing up together back in Florida, playing dress up with rags from the sewing box or floating around on blow up rafts in the Gulf of Mexico...)

Those first bags were made during the full moon, it's important when the moon is either waxing or waning--which the days after the first workshop would of been waning, you put together bags to send things away from you & if you want to draw them to you I think it's you'd make them when the moon is waxing...as for the new moon--I'll find out for sure, but I think it's a good time for bringing new things to you - say starting a new business or adventure, which I'm up for (maybe I should make me one & stop giving them all away to needy family/friends, hmmm...)

my finished bag, so cute & lovely smelling - plus added the little horse face/word horse too, cutout from the little mini card to put inside the bag...

(note: as my sister is a huge horse fan, she rescues the big 1,000 pound dogs down in the pan-handle of Florida & especially during hurricanes or fires or flooding events...as a non-profit, look up HorseSavers Inc - tho I think someone needs to redo their old/Old Rescue Ranch webpage, she's moved since then...so maybe this little sachet/Gris Gris will help her shed some things & bring some new things to her - as in would be good to shed some rescue horses to new homes & gain some wealth to pay for animal feed or hay, like in general kinds of things?!)

Link to Wiki for more info about Gris Gris, Louisiana Voodoo or Hoodoo (aka folk magic)...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Voodoo

Link to Louisiana Book News webpage by the author, Chere Dastugue Coen...
http://www.louisianabooknews.com/aboutcherecoen.html
(note: she has also written under the pseudonym Cherie Claire...historical romance novels A Cajun Dream, Snow Angels anthology / The Acadians series of Emilie, Rose, Gabriel & Delphine)

Link to Barnes & Noble for Chere Coen's books...
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/Chere-Coen
And link for Cherie Claire's books...
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/cherie-claire?store=ALLPRODUCTS&keyword=cherie+claire

Link to Chere Coen's Blog - Have Books, Will Travel, Let's Eat...
http://havebookswilltravelletseat.blogspot.com/

"I'm a travel writer and a book reviewer who loves to eat. Join me as I travel the world, discovering fun destinations, interesting cuisine and a good read along the way."

(note: you'll see we follow each other's blogs, which I'm flattered for sure...recently she's gone on a writer's retreat in Arkansas only to get sent back again to write up about town/the hot springs spa there - now there's the kind of job I'd like, travel/writing/getting paid & even if in hotel/spa treatments... sigh...And if I have to write 3 or more books first in order to get to this level, I best hurry up is what I'm thinking--time's a wasting?!)

     /\/\/\

Festivals...

Festival Acadiens



 
Pine Leaf Boys, just ending their set - as I had just made it across the whole of the oil center, felt like, where I parked to walk to Girard Park, to the other end, to find the stage at the Festival Acadiens where the band was playing so I just snapped a pic from my phone in the sun (Ok, so I did also walk thru the vendor's/artist's tent rows - as I wasn't sure who was playing on the first stage in the park I came to...)

(note: did someone tell me they had a recent fundraiser fete to raise money for another Grammy Nomination run - did I read they have 4 of  'em already - or I think that's what it was for, must watch out for more rumor news about those details--have some friends of friends who are serious fans of these boys, they were there so must ask them more sometime soon...of course they have all their CD's too...)
Down Artist's Row I specifically wanted to see this man's work, as I'd only seen some pieces in local magazines before - because I want to so buy a winged angel or heart or butterfly (dragonfly?) or ?? in his style art of worked/chainsawed wood/metal--one day...



'blue butterfly 09' - from Kelly Guidry's 'Available Works' selections...

(note: I saw this one & many more at the Festival Acadiens--it just makes me want a piece of his art more, when at first I was attracted to the hearts & angel forms...now this butterfly attracts me, if he did a dragonfly like this I would be unable to resist?! Ok, under 'Forms' the 'wingedmermaid1' is making siren type sounds in my head at me too...)

And if those forms aren't to your liking, there are fantastic fish also - some on giant hooks too...
I especially like the polk dot fish, or he calls it the 'bubblegumfish'...(don't want to copy anymore photos, so don't get into trouble either--it is art afterall, go there to his webpage--scroll through all the pieces photos...you'll be hooked...hah?!)

Or there are bugs--cute bugs, actual cute bugs...personally I hate real bugs, but these guys are cute--like the shock mouth bright green (hungry) caterpillar or the leaf green pill bug on wheels (rollerpillar04) with a windup key on his back (more fantastic going on, it's great stuff--can you imagine this man's workshop, can you imagine this man's imagination?!)

Link to his webpage - where you see what he calls his "Modern Primitive" works

Events - his next art event - Bayou City Arts Festival - Downtown Houston, TX - October 25-27

(note: lived there 3 times & have been to this arts festival more than once, it covers a lot of blocks - I took the shuttle bus not to have to drive/park in downtown I remember...as for art, I do think - per usual - I did buy something at least 1 of those years, plus art greeting cards or postcards to save a little piece of the art I couldn't afford?!)


Boudin Cookoff - but feels like a Festival


love the piggie poster for this year's Boudin Cookoff...

 

a sampling of boudin, links or balls - from the webpage or facebook page...
Link to the 'link'...



my fav sample of the day, that I had to pay for as it wasn't paid w/tickets like all the other boudin samples...this is fried boudin with blackberry sauce drizzled on it - heavenly, it's really dessert... but were they from Cottonmouth or Cottonport? I forget & from what market/restaurant/gas station too?!

(note: you'll laugh, but I don't have my cayenne pepper tastebuds back yet - from living here for the 3rd time, so I can't tolerate all the usually spicy selections of samples of boudin just yet...but this little crispy pocket of boudin with berry sauce on top talks to my sweet tastebuds?!)


some of the samples I picked up at the Boudin Cookoff tents...
there's a crawfish boudin link in there & a crawfish ball & a link with brown rice in it & another normal or smoked variety & maybe one with chicken--or there will be, as I kept adding samples but didn't take another photo of them all...so a great day of tastebuds awakening for just 50 cents a sample, but please don't ask me where I got them all--because I've forgotten all the tents & what came from where (I'd be the worst one to vote, so sadly didn't - as most of these tastes weren't taken until I got home or the next day even...)

 
Link to the Boudin Cookoff...

No comments:

Post a Comment